Friday, July 24, 2009

Doin the wave

Not a sports game wave, or a surfing wave, but a social media wave!


This google Wave preview video released last month has done a good job promoting the product and creating hype. I mean here I am, and average guy on a google blog writing about a google product before its even released. How's that for free marketing?

To me the most outstanding and scrary feature about Wave is how it updates in real time. I'm blown away at the idea of having a wave open, typing in the wave and having other members of the wave seeing my message as I type it. I'm also really impressed that you can drag and drop pictures right onto the Wave and they show up for everyone in the Wave. The cool thing though about Wave is we are all so familiar now with social media sites and applications that it probably won't take too long to learn to use Wave.

I'm not sure yet if I'm excited for google Wave or not. I kind of like my simple emails, and I enjoy logging in to sites like Facebook to see what people have been up to since the last time I checked in. Unlike Twitter, where I was completley reluctant to start Tweeting, I am going to try and "hop on the Wave" as soon as it comes out. I'm sure as soon as google Wave is released we will all be "Waving", "Riding the Wave", "Cowabungaing"?

Whatever we end up calling it when we use google Wave it will be fun, open up new possibilities for communition, and I will see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment