Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Log into Yahoo to log into Facebook?

Yahoo now has a new homepage which features a navigation bar on the left hand side where you can add website applications. The new layout is nice and clean, and is great improvement from the previous version of Yahoo.


Ok so here is my problem with the new website, for some reason I am really creeped out that when you scroll over the Facebook icon it gives you the option to log into Facebook. Once you are logged in you can updated your Facebook status right from the Yahoo application. Is it me or does this seem like a stunt to try and get people to go to Yahoo when they want to go to Facebook?
From what I can find from a quick search Yahoo is owned by shareholders of the company and Facebook is privately owned. So does Facebook see this as free advertising? Is Facebook involved in this somehow? Unless Facebook developed this application I think this is a step toward Monopolization on Yahoo‘s part (not too say Google is any better).

This is different than downloading an application for you iphone because you own your iphone, once you have the app you can use it as you please. To access this new feature of Yahoo you need to have an active account that you are logged in on. My fear (and what I’m sure is Yahoo’s goal) is that people will eventually stop going to their favorite websites and use Yahoo as a portal to access them. This would mean much more exposure for Yahoo and less other websites.

I need to keep an eye on this issue because something about Yahoo even being able to host these other site applications just doesn’t seem right, particularly from a legal standpoint. For now that’s all I got, hopefully more information about this will come up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment